Wednesday, June 22, 2011

District 12 area of Ho Chi Minh

Sybille, Quyen and I went into Ho Chi Minh City to the District 12 area.  The streets are very narrow -like alleys, as you can see in the photo- and the homes are narrow and high.  The person we visited lives with three other girls on the fourth level, in a 'studio' apartment about the size of a bedroom - 10'x12' with a hot plate for a kitchen, a 4'x6' bathroom and a small balcony just big enough to hold a fold-out clothes drying rack.

Road level spaces are shops - selling anything you can imagine.

The above picture shows how the alley just keeps going and going, turning left and right - like a maze!  It has only one 'roadway' into the area with lots of twists and turns.  I am glad Quyen was with us...just in case we got lost she was the only one who speaks Vietnamese!  Both of these pictures were on the 7-10 minute walk to Thu's apartment.  Sybille's driver could not come into this area since the road was too narrow.  He had to wait on the side of  the major 2-lane road which wasn't THAT MUCH bigger!!  We walked from the car to her apartment.  I really did not mind because this allowed me to observe the people of the country going about their daily lives.  The sights and smells are so very different than what I am used to.