Monday, September 19, 2011

Mekong Delta Trip

Felix and I on the tour boat.
The Ham Luong Tourist Co., Ltd

 The boat operator (left), Tien  and (right) the tour guide, Cuong.
Our tour boat.
On Tuesday, 13 September 2011, we rented an eight-passenger bus and journeyed south, down to the Mekong Delta region (about a 2-hour drive).  Everyone wanted to take the Mekong River tour. 
The Mekong River is one of the world's great rivers.  It originates high in the Tibetan plateau, flowing through China, between Myanmar and Laos, through Laos, along the Laos-Thailand border, and through Cambodia and Vietnam on its way to the South China Sea.  At Phnom Penh Cambodia, the Mekong River splits into two main branches:  the Hau Giang or Lower River (also known as the Bassac River) and the Tien Giang or Upper River.  Each of these branches split again into 3 to 5 smaller branches that empty into the South China Sea.  Seasonal flooding is a big problem for the people of this region.  Many build their homes on bamboo stilts to avoid the rising water. They also build canals and travel by boat.  Traditionally the people are fishermen and rice farmers -they have big coffee crops too.  Hope you didn't mind the mini history lesson!  You now know a little bit more about this great river and the amazing people of the region!





House boats line the banks of the Mekong River.  The river is dirty due to the silt.  Fish are very plentiful though!

 A view from our boat coming into the docking area on Unicorn Island. (Thoi Son).  Once you walk from this docking area onto the coconut tree lined trails - or should I say "main" roadway because we had to dodge motorbikes- it is busy with typical tourist stalls selling trinkets.  Looking at this picture you would never imagine 100 yds. into the trees was a thriving tourist trap!  I think our guide gets a kickback to bring us to this area of the island!


A quick stop for a cold drink and entertainment!

Felix enjoying the canoe ride to the end of Unicorn Island through the canals.
The canoe ride was gorgeous and cool!  It was low tide as you can see.
We ended the canal canoe ride at the other end of the island and boarded our boat to Tortoise Island.   
On the way to lunch, we meet a water buffalo tied to a tree off the trail.  He did not look that friendly!
 
Lunch is served in peaceful thatched-roof outdoor serving areas.  We were served a 3-course meal.  The typical 'hot pot' - a pot set on a burner heated with sterno and put on the table to boil.  Inside the pot is a yummy broth with meat chunks, mushrooms, onions and spices and served with bowls of rice, fresh vegetables and herbs for each to add as desired.



Our appetizer, two Elephant Fish served with rice paper and herbs.  I think the fish was deep fried because the tail and fins were very crunchy - but the whole fish was really, really good tasting!  There was only a bare skeleton remaining when we were finished! 
After an hour or so, we finished gorging ourselves on all the delicious food  and walked up a little path to the horse cart.  I felt very sorry for the little horse because he had to carry us after eating so much!
The cart took us to the other side of Tortoise Island to once again get onto the tour boat for the return journey to My Tho City.





On the tour boat, our operator started peeling and opening coconuts for everyone to have a drink for the ride back to the wharf.  Felix drank fresh coconut milk; I tried it but I think it tastes bad.




A late afternoon sun sparkling off the upper Mekong River by My Tho City, Tien Giang Province, Viet Nam.

I truly enjoyed the day visiting one little area of the delta region.  Next time I come to the delta area I would like to visit the Cai Be Floating Market by My Thuan.  Maybe one day I could venture even further south to the lower Mekong River (Hau Giang) also called the Bassac River, to the Cai Rang Floating Market in Can Tho.

No comments:

Post a Comment